How can we support English Subject Leads?
We can support Subject Leads to raise standards in their schools by developing their skills, knowledge and understanding of how to teach English in primary schools.
This includes supporting them on the following key actions:
- Carrying out a comprehensive literacy audit e.g. data, work and planning scrutiny
- Identifying priorities
- Writing a comprehensive action plan
- Meeting CPD requirements (either through facilitation or provision)
- Supporting colleagues
- Monitoring teaching and learning
- Implementing action plans and evaluating impact
- Interrogating data and evidence of progress/attainment
Action Research Networks for Subject Leads
This year, BC Education Ltd. is looking for enthusiastic and experienced Subject Leads who want to develop their expertise in certain areas of English. In particular, we want to facilitate action research groups on the following:
- The use of picture books as a model for writing in KS1 and KS2
- The use of poetry to improve vocabulary, speaking and listening
- Developing drama techniques as a whole school to inspire writing
- How to improve and apply grammar skills in independent writing.
This is not a training course. It is an opportunity for Subject Leads to work with colleagues and develop good practice in their schools. The project would require attendance at termly network sessions; gap tasks in own school; working with colleagues in each other’s schools; monitoring and measuring impact on attainment.
There will be a nominal fee to cover venue and refreshment costs.